Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Year Review

This has been an interesting year for us.  In many ways it's been better than the years in the past.  We managed to stay in one place for almost one full year.  That may not seem like much, but with all the moving we've done since leaving my ex, that's actually pretty good.  We're in a place that isn't perfect for us, but it will work.  We've learned to cook healthier, eat healthier, and shop more wisely, though we haven't been as good as we could be.  I've been building up a small list of recipes I know my family likes and home cooked meals made from scratch or from very few premade additives are becoming more common.  We're making progress.

On the homeschooling front, it may not seem like we did much this year in a lot of ways.  The year started off with a bang.  We did tons of arts and crafts, but as time went on we slowed down.  The summer was full of a lot of nothingness and idol time.  Thankfully, the fall picked up with the co-op.  We got to see just how smart the kids really were, and how good they are at what they can do.  Bunny Boo proved (finally) that she can read and is actually pretty good at it (when she's got the right motivation.  She's been reading Meet Marie-Grace from the American Girl collection.  She got the doll and book series from her grandmother for Christmas.  Link (as my older son has requested to be called on this blog) has shown that he's already learning some good reading skills and can already read a little bit here and there.  The littlest one is finally learning to talk and apparently has quite a bit to say.  They've all come a lot farther than I'd realized, and have grown so much too! Looking back at the past year, it's hard to think how much smaller they all were.

We didn't make a huge move towards sustainability this year, but we have been forced to make a few changes.  Given that we're without a car for the time being we've learned to do as much of our grocery shopping in bulk as possible.  As a result, we've cut back on grocery trips a good deal.  There's far fewer needs to run out for some last minute items forgotten.  Thanks to slippers for everyone under the tree this year and wonderful afghans sent by my aunt, we've also decided to keep the house cooler than usual this winter.  We're probably going to keep the house as warm as we can bear again this summer, since that worked out fairly well for us last summer.  We're looking for other ways to save on electricity too, but that's going to be hard with Chesh and his forgetfulness.  He has a bad habit of leaving the closet light on, as well as every single light in the kitchen.

Financially, we've made some progress on the debt-free thing without intending to.  Without having a car payment, we're going to be that much better off every month.  Living where we are now, rent is cheaper and water is included.  That means we're saving a good deal every month.  Unfortunately, Chesh is also out of work again, but I'll be employed as a nanny during the first half of the year.  That should buy him some time to find a new job and to keep pulling us that much farther out of debt.  The debt collectors from my past have finally tracked me down, so I've got all the contact with them I need in order to start working off my past debts.  This will put us in good standing when we finally decide to buy a home of our own.  I know the debts from my past can't technically hurt me any right now, unless I go for a line of credit somewhere, but it's better to have them all paid off and taken care of.  You never know when you might need your credit in good standing in the future, especially as many jobs do credit checks now.  I can't wait to have some of this consolidated and behind me.  Thankfully, moving to this place was our first step.

Overall it's been a wild ride of a year.  It's had it's ups and downs.  It's been interesting, that's for sure.  We've had to keep on our toes, but as a result, we've gotten a lot accomplished.  I can honestly say I hope the new year brings in better luck than this passing year, but I'm not too upset about the year we're leaving behind.  The challenges only helped us all grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment