Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Reading and Science

This whole reading quest, it's got to go further than just reading and math.  I mean, reading and math is all well and good, but there are so many topics that can be explored here!  Reading can open up so many doors, though my daughter only seems to want to stick with the doors of fictional stories, and the easiest ones humanly possible.  She doesn't want to do anything challenging.

I know why she does it.  If she were to pick a topic that would truly challenge her mind then she would have so much more expected of her.  She prefers books with very little substance to them.  The less substance, the less work she will have to do in the long run.  I can't ask her details about the story, or I'll have very little to work from.  As long as she plays that she doesn't know what she's doing, she'll have to put in minimum effort.

Unfortunately for her, I'm once more catching on that she just doesn't care.  She's showing this in sounding the word out, reading it right five or six times in a row, and then suddenly "forgetting" what the word is.  I'm starting to think she's deliberately adding in letters that aren't there.  I know part of it is her staring all around the room.  I would say it's because it's too easy for her, but in truth, I think it's because she's bored and doesn't want to do the work.  Reading isn't fun for her and she'll rebel at any cost.  I just wish I could find some things she was interested in reading about to get her to do it.  Maybe then she'd stop playing around and just do it already!

Today's subject matters is Rockets and Spaceships in the form of an early reader my aunt sent at some point or another.  I think it may have been in the box we just got.  The kids took off with the books before I could really get a good look, once again.  My older son really has a thing with books and has wanted nothing more than to look at books for the past two weeks.  We've got a number of subjects to last through the week.  I'm hoping this will inspire her to take more interest in reading since reading can expose her to so much that she hasn't had a chance to experience before.

We're gong to see where this goes, but hopefully science will help open the door to reading for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment