Friday, July 22, 2011

The Act of Nonconformity

I've been doing a lot of thinking on the subject of conforming lately.  A lot of my friends label themselves as "nonconformists".  Really, only a handful of them actually stand for something in their decision not to conform to the standards of society.  Many of them think they stand for something, but in reality, it's all just an illusion.  It's really gotten me thinking on my stance on the whole thing.

For many of the people I've known in my life nonconformity is a simple thing.  If you want to stand out and show that you go against what society tells you to do, you change your appearance.  Maybe you've got a lot of tattoos or piercings.  Maybe you dress in a weird way.  Perhaps you've got some crazy hair color or style.  Whatever it is, it's seen as a way of not conforming to the will of society.

Here's the problem I have with that.  So what if you dress different?  I dress different than most of the people I know, sometimes in goth or hippie inspired pieces, sometimes just bright, colorful and clashing, sometimes looking a little out of my own time.  That doesn't mean I don't do what society tells me to do.  Does it matter that you have a couple tattoos or piercings?  I've got multicolored dreads, a rather sizable tattoo, ears stretched to fit a two gauge, two holes in my lip and a hole in my nose.  None of those mean I don't do what society is telling me to do.  Actually, in many ways, that "nonconformity" is a means of conforming to society or your peers.  For example, everyone around here has tattoos and piercings, well, maybe not piercings on the soldiers, but you get my point.

This kind of nonconformism is almost like a safe rebellion.  Yes, you're going against the grain and doing things your parents might have rolled their eyes at, but what does it stand against?  Trendiness?  Being mainstream?  But at the same time, this kind of rebellion itself is trendy and mainstream.  It's the kind of rebellion everyone is doing, and because of that, it's not new.  It's not innovative.  It doesn't stand for anything, aside from going against what the generation before us would prefer us to do.  In truth, that stance isn't really a reason to go against anything.

However, there is a small group of my friends who are truly nonconformist.  They go against the grain of society in a way that actually means something.  The things they stand against are standards in society (and I don't just mean the standard of beauty) and, as such, actually do things that make a difference, both for themselves and their families.  They are trying to make a difference in the world around them by going against the grain.  They are true nonconformists, and as such often become activists and the like to show people a new and better way to live.

Many of my friends choose alternative activities at first because of the benefits to their family or information they find that leads them to the right choice.  Many of these things quickly become hot-button issues between the tried and true believers, but there are some that aren't quite such powerful ideas.  Here's a few of the kinds of things I'm talking about.

  • Cloth Diapering
  • Anti-Circumcision
  • Anti-Vaccine
  • Sustainable Gardening
  • Organic Only Diet
  • No GMO Diet
  • Vegetarianism/Veganism (for ethical and/or health reasons)
  • Raw Foods
  • Going Green (since before it was a catch phrase, and often to excessive degrees)
  • Chemical-Free Households
  • Homeopathic/Holistic Healing
  • Homeschooling
  • Unschooling
  • Handcrafting (to provide needed goods for their family, not just as a hobby)
  • Anti-Consumerism
  • Sustainable Communities (such as Earthships)
  • No Television (from as minor as refusing cable to as major as no video games or anything)
  • Natural/Organic Health and Beauty Products
And as much as that may sound like a lot, that's just hitting the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the kids of nonconformists my friends are!  They're some pretty special people (and if the happen to be reading this, they should know I think they're incredible and I love them all very much!)  It's people like those who will change the world, not by dressing "alternatively" and making personal choices in style.  They are actually standing for something, be it personal health,  saving the environment, improving their own financial standing, and raising their kids to be good people who are healthy in mind, body, and soul.

I think that's the biggest thing that bothers me about people who claim not to conform to the standards of society.  All too many of them conform and only enact little rebellions, acceptable rebellions, instead of choosing to stand for something they believe in.  Perhaps if more people recognized that not conforming to the will of society went far deeper than the fashion industry and personal style choices we would have a deeper understanding of where the road parts on going with the flock or standing for your own beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment