Monday, November 28, 2016

Thanksgiving and Gearing Up for Christmas

Thanksgiving went really well this year.  We got up early and watched the parade, then the dog show stayed on while Pinkie and I prepped and stuffed the turkey.  Pinkie had never done it before, and since she's interested in cooking, I decided it was time, especially if she wants to go into culinary.  It's going to be necessary to learn how to work with raw meat, as much as she doesn't want to.  She was pretty proud of having helped make dinner for Thanksgiving.  Then the kids did their favorite thing to do ever, played lots and lots of Minecraft.

No, I'm sure it's not surprising that the kids played Minecraft, but this time they played in Festive world, which is the Christmas world on Minecraft.  We listened to the "Friendsgiving" station on Pandora while the tree was brought up from the basement.  Though it's not a traditional Thanksgiving thing to do, we set up the tree.  The kids loved watching it go up in the background while they played Minecraft.  They had a lot of fun exploring all the different places they could go.  They found things out like the presents were made of wool.  It was great to see them working together to build their house, and to hear their comments as they flew through Santa's Workshop.

While that was fun for the older kids, Bear got quickly bored of watching them.  Together we sat to work on something we'd gotten started with a long time ago, making potholders, though I guess they don't call them pot holders anymore.  We picked out "Frozen" colors, though the lighting isn't good to see it here.  It's dark blue, light blue, pink, and purple.  And, no, Bear isn't hiding because I don't want my kids' faces on the internet, but because that's what Bear wanted to do for a picture.  Silly Bear!

I absolutely love the idea of making these little pot holder things.  They're great for the manual dexterity thing.  It's not exactly easy to weave those loops through each other to get them hooked at either edge.  It takes patience to work through each segment, making sure that everything is crossed the right way and over or under both sides of the loop it's passing.  I ended up weaving the edge together because that part is frustrating and challenging, even for me, and I'm an adult.  As much as I used to love doing those as a kid, I can't help but think how complicated the craft really was.  The funny thing is I used to love doing them when I was younger, but now it boggles my mind how I did it all those years.  It's kind of a pain to work with.

And oh my goodness the food!  We had so much food, more than we could ever possibly eat in one day, or so I thought.  This is my stove.  On it are gravy, mashed potatoes, peas, corn, green beans (dressed up with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese), and carrots.  As you can tell, my little four burner stove isn't quite large enough for the amount of food we made.  All of that was being kept warm by the heat coming off of the oven roasting the turkey.  On top of all that and the turkey, we also had stuffing and cranberry sauce.  It was quite the feast.  Of course, the turkey was started so late that we ended up eating crazy late, but it was totally worth it.  We snacked on round one of the meal while watching Turkey Hollow and went through round two towards the end.

I'll be honest, I expected to put half of what we made away for later.  Instead we ended up eating most of it.  There were no potatoes left, only about a single serving of green beans, not enough corn to save, a decent amount of cranberry sauce, and small bowls of both stuffing and carrots.  Of course, there was a decent amount of turkey, but the leftovers only lasted us one more day.  I didn't plan for that at all.  I mean, we are a big family, so that's something, but those kids can really put away some food!

As the weekend went on, we decided it was time to finish the tree.  Out came the ornaments and the lights for the little tree and we went to town.  We started with the big tree.  We don't have a lot of ornaments for the big tree yet, so only the front got finished, and we don't have a tree skirt or anything fancy, but it turned out pretty well.  Most of the ornaments on the tree are handmade.  I even have a few that are possibly older than I am that my mom made.  My mom gave them to me last year when she heard I needed ornaments for my tree.  I'm surprised at just how much coverage we have on the whole thing.  I was expecting it to be far more sparse.

Eventually I'd like to get to the point where the big tree is decorated with nothing but ornaments that were made by the family.  That would really make me happy.  That's a tall order if I were just going to keep it to the immediate family, but there are some nice pieces that will stay from my extended family as well.  I just really like knowing that the ornaments each have a history, they were made by someone and that makes them special.  That means a lot to me.  I'd even be happy to extend that to friends who are close enough to be family.  Whatever gets the tree covered with pieces from important people in our lives.

The little tree, on the other hand, doesn't have the same flair.  Its branches are small, which means it can't hold the heavy ornaments the other tree can.  Instead of going for handcrafted ornaments, we've opted for some cheap ones with glitter on them.  The lights are a bit large and heavy for the little tree, but it definitely looks pretty.  They change colors gradually between blue and white.  Between the colors and the lights, we've dubbed that tree "the Frozen tree."

Last year we had four trees, the big one, the Frozen tree, "the owl tree," and "the weird tree."  Each kid had a tree of their own where their presents sat.  This year we're going to be doing the same, with some modifications.  Each of the kids has picked their "tree."  I use that term loosely because Creeper decided he didn't want a tree this year.  He wants to use his Christmas cactus instead.  Link is getting "the weird tree," which is nothing more than an overgrown bonsai style tree.  that poor tree has taken a lot of abuse and kind of looks more like a Charlie Brown tree these days.  The big tree goes to Pinkie, just like last year.  The Frozen tree goes to Bear, since Bear was the one who selected everything to make it the Frozen tree in the first place.  Finally, "the owl tree," which is another Norfolk Island Pine with a glow in the dark owl post stuck in the pot, belongs to the adults that will be celebrating Christmas with us this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment